Friday, June 4, 2010

Helping Patients with Special Needs, a Parent Testimonial



Working with patients with special needs is an important part of our mission here at Otay Lakes Orthodontics. Take a look at this story, written by the mother of two of our patients, about their experience with Dr. Poggio and the team.

Our sons are twin boys with autism. Because they have anxiety in new situations as well as sensory issues, I decided to approach our referral to Dr. Poggio as I do all new situations with our boys - calmly and with caution. It was important to us to not only have an orthodontist that was highly skilled, but also one whom we felt our entire family could communicate with effectively. I felt it was necessary for us to take this one step at a time. I was very pleased that there was no pressure after Dr. Poggio's initial evaluation. While there were signs that orthodontic care was needed, Dr. Poggio was waiting for the right time to begin. While she continued to monitor Adam and David's progress, she and her staff built rapport with our sons. It was vital that Adam and David felt at ease in her office prior to the start of treatment. Dr. Poggio and her entire staff insured that this was so. I am grateful for the way Adam and David see all the staff as friends and am amazed at how well they have tolerated each phase of their treatment.

Prior to the start of treatment, Dr. Poggio clearly explained to me and to Adam and David, the steps involved. I was particularly pleased with the information about the Damon System Dr. Poggio uses, as it lessons treatment time and discomfort. This was especially important for Adam and David. Every aspect of our visits has gone well. The office is an ideal location for us, close to our home and the boys school. The staff provided all the assistance we needed to finance the treatment and always did their best to schedule visits at a time that worked with our family routines. Although as a parent, I have needed to assist our sons with various aspects of their orthodontic care, for the most part, Dr. Poggio and her staff have taken most of that burden off of me by explaining things directly to our sons. Adam and David like Dr. Poggio and her staff so much, that they want to do a good job in caring for their braces. One of my favorite items in the office is the glass shadow box that has actual candies and various forbidden food items encased inside. Once our sons saw that, I didn't have to be the bearer of the NO list - it was already done for me.

We have already referred one family to Dr. Poggio and I would not hesitate to refer any one to her practice. I not only believe Adam and David's smile and dental health has been vastly improved, but their confidence and self-discipline as well. I don't think you could find a friendlier or more pleasant and professional atmosphere than you will find at Otay Lakes Orthodontics.


~Helen B.

No comments:

Post a Comment